Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"You Talk Like A White Girl"

 

                                                  Individual: "you sound like a white girl"
  Me: 
   

      A race of individuals may share certain physical characteristics but they do not share the same behaviors, opinions, outlooks, attitudes, life styles, languages, accents, or culture so when statements like "you're an Oreo", or "you talk so proper like a white girl", it makes no sense to me. You can't speak like an entire race of people because that entire race of people doesn't speak the same,. Proper grammar is not a tool only used by white people so when confronted with a statement like that from black people, what does that say about how some of us see ourselves.
   I don't let the media, or any other person decide for me how to act, speak nor look I refuse to. My right to decide just who I am and who I want to be are one of the few things in this world that are reserved freely for us so why wouldn't I hold my freedom to be how I ever please in the highest right. I can't conform people, I can't make anyone's opinion change because people are always going to think what they want, but that doesn't matter my opinion about myself does and I love the way I speak. I can speak with such high formality, and then I can say goofy silly things while in the comfort of my friends I may speak English now and drop a Spanish term later, do you want to know why, because I can.
  I can do as I please just like anyone else can say what they want, but that doesn't mean I have to listen. Ignorant comments will be said to my face, behind my back, in my ear, they will be said in humor, said in offense and said in ignorance but it's all determined on how I allow it to affect. A simple statement can be tossed aside like a feather if you don't let it weigh you down like a boulder. I won't carry the ignorance or resentment of anyone on my shoulders, I have enough going on, so when confronted with with ignorance and those who believe in stereotypical behavior the best thing is to keep your head up and keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis