Google+ Deejay Speaks: Diversity In The Blogging Industry

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Diversity In The Blogging Industry

   The blog universe is buzzing off of the recent article on IFB "Bloggers and Body Image: Are We Helping Or Hurting Ourselves?". As I sat in bed curled up ready to devour the latest blogger tips, that's when I saw the article. The article of so much controversy and fueled so much distaste. I read it carefully, and then I came across a quote that was most upsetting " there needs to be a serious commitment to higher-quality content, as well as a more committed approach to fostering their growth from brands and larger publications. At the moment, there aren’t enough blogs run by these types of women that get the notoriety they deserve"- "Bloggers and Body Image: Are We Helping Or Hurting Ourselves?" IFB  decided to make edits and retract certain statements from the article  and I do believe they didn't mean any harm, just the message came out slightly skewed. Some diverse bloggers of high quality blogs can be found below if you're interested. 
http://www.lovebrownsugar.com/
http://fashionforestry.blogspot.com/ 
http://emmieloves.com
http://www.curvygirlchic.com
/http://frocksandfroufrou.blogspot.com
/http://skorchmagazine.com/
http://www.leblogdebigbeauty.com
 www.stylishcurves.net
as for petite quality bloggers
 alterationsneeded.com
 extrapetite.com
 herwaisechoice.com
and there are many others.
   IFB does have a point, perhaps that's why not as many diverse bloggers get noticed, but when looking at the list above I think there's a much deeper reason as to why the masses ignore diversity. The media is wonderful when it comes to putting people into categories and the generalization of saying that a specific group of bloggers lack enough bloggers who have that level of quality isn't hardly factual. Condoning such stereotypical behavior didn't bring the proper spotlight on the main issue here A LACK OF DIVERSITY. Why is the industry so frightened of diversity? The fashion industry, the media they all cater to the same cookie cutter look, and although there are few that want to put a stop to such narrow minded views, we're talking about decades of building and creating this unrealistic ideal of a woman. We're talking about years upon years of brain washing and trying to drown out those who want to fight for diversity so what do we do? We don't give up. We stay determined. We address issues,make our voices known whether it's to an audience of three or 3,000 we do not give up.
   We take matters into our own hands and instead of doing posts on "Ten Black Fashion Bloggers You Need To See", how about we just incorporate the black fashion bloggers with "Ten Fashion Bloggers You Need To See". Death to tokenism, death to the box the media keeps trying to put us in, bring life to the society we want to live in we cannot raise and create a world that is accepting of us all unless we put in the work to do so, so the answer to a lack of diversity is determination, there is no glass ceiling! We can all reach the top, all of us who are willing to keep pushing and making the decisions and taking the chances to get notice, we call all strive. The moment you let doubt in is the moment you are building yourself up to fail, and failure my friends is not an option, there's too much depending on each of us, blogger or not. There are too many young girls in need of role models and to see women like them whether that woman is latino,asian, thin, tall,plus size, or in the middle we all need to be seen we all need to be heard not only for ourselves but to make sure we leave a mark the whole world will see, whether they like it or not!

14 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you @WendyB and do feel free to link the post I don't mind blog links I look at it like this as long as the comment is longer than the the link then I won't consider it spam, I'd really like to see your "Ten Fashion Bloggers You Need To See" post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. all women need to be represented from a size 2 to size a 10 if you would like to link some other notable bloggers you feel should be on the list please feel free to do so, we all need to be heard I'll add them to the list above!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for including me in your list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think it's that there's a lack of diversity but that bloggers who don't conform to fashion's norms are ignored. Not because of their content or the quality of their work but because most people want an aspirational blogs and advertisers want to throw money at those that fit in with the images they normally show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you said this! I left a comment about IFB's blatant tokenism (OMG we're totally diverse, look at this post on Asian bloggahs!!!) and it was deleted. I've removed my badge, and I'm leaving the site. This for me is the last straw in a long line of things they have done to piss me off recently. Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're welcome. Just to note that outside the petite world, "all sizes" usually means "let's include bigger girls." We shorties are ignored much too often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could imagine the frustration that could come from that and I'm so happy you added those bloggers I really want everyone to be included no one should be ignored style is style regardless of appearance

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, what about bloggers like alterationsneeded.com, extrapetite.com and herwaisechoice.com? Or is this another case of petite gals need not apply?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this: "Ten Fashion Bloggers You Need To See." I just published one of my blogger fashion-trend slideshows on the Huffington Post (I'm not gonna spam you by linking to it though, LOL) and I always try to make those diverse as possible in terms of age, weight, height, complexion, whatever. I don't even make a judgment as to whether the trend in question looks good on the bloggers or not. I simply report on the trend and show how various people interpret it. I suspected a retailer opted out of an interview with me for my latest story because I said honestly that my slideshows are "not all Conde Nast editors." Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I definitely felt like it would have behooved me to keep that info to myself and surprise them after the fact!

    ReplyDelete
  13. " We take matters into our own hands and instead of doing posts on "Ten Black Fashion Bloggers You Need To See", how about we just incorporate the black fashion bloggers with "Ten Fashion Bloggers You Need To See". Death to tokenism, death to the box the media keeps trying to put us in, bring life to the society we want to live in we cannot raise and create a world that is accepting of us all unless we put in the work to do so, so the answer to a lack of diversity is determination, there is no glass ceiling! "


    Beautifully said!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis