Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Year in Review

           





          Hey guys, I decided I wanted to take a moment to think of all I've achieved in the year 2012 and then make some new goals for 2013. I never was a huge New Year's resolution person because I didn't believe it should have to take for a year to pass for someone to make a change. I believe change can happen at all times, anywhere, anyhow and for anyone not just for a new year a lot of people could be going through changes right now as I type this post, and that's the beautiful thing about life and the unknown.
2012 was a lot of different things for me. I was terrified of graduating, leaving high school and suddenly not knowing which route to take. I remember that year I told myself "I'm going to Wayne State University and I'm going to get my BA in journalism", but things never go as planned because by the time I graduated my attitude towards school had shifted. I looked at school as something small, an institution built on socializing young adults and getting them ready for this obnoxious man-made standard and then shipping them off(aren't I the cynic?). I kept having all these little buzzes in my ears telling me "college doesn't guarantee a job","you could be getting experience now and go to college later" and then the loveliest of ideas whispered in my ears, the one I was so fond of "take a year off", I was so tempted to take a year off and simply work a nice little job at the Dollar Tree to keep me busy and simply enjoy life for a year of no schooling!!! I was seriously considering simply not showing up to WSU even though I had been accepted back that September.My parents had other ideas, and I was being set up at WSU all over again, with every fear no to man crawling around in my gut.
What if I get lost on campus?
What if I don't get a job?
What if I can't afford it?
What if I'm just wasting my time?
           None of these questions got answered one solid time, I had to go on this new school adventure alone, and with nothing but faith to drive me and quite frankly I did mighty fine if I do say so myself. Walking on campus with nothing but God by my side, annoyance in my eyes, and a strong grip on my purse I had no idea I'd be where I am now. I considered trying school for a month and if I didn't like it, I'd quit, and find myself (feel free to laugh, I know I am). Although, my first few weeks were riddled with financial worry(which was ridiculous because I ended up with enough financial aid refunds to cover my books and what not), I got through them unharmed and actually made a friend or 2 in the process. What I really got out of my first semester was to know myself better and to know God better. 2012 turned out to be one of my most challenging and successful years. So lets shoot to the quick recap:

  1. I graduated from high school this year.
  2. I kept my weight down.
  3. I gave blood.
  4. I got accepted to Wayne State University.
  5. I successfully finished my first semester at Wayne State University.
  6. I learned a lot about myself.
  7. I learned to love myself better.
  8. I have a closer relationship with God.
  9. I recreated this blog.
  10. I voted for the first time!
  11. I'm now creating original, content on this blog that I love and have found others enjoy as well.
  12. I overcame my fear of speaking publicly.
  13. I wrote some amazing college papers which I'm keeping for my portfolio someday.
  14. I did my first ever interview.
  15. I got my driver's permit.
  16. I got my sixth piercing which you can see here instagram.com/deejayzface
  17. I did youtube videos which you can see here youtube.com/Deejayisspeaking 
    My year was a good one, but you must always keep goal oriented so I shall be creating some more goals to follow such as:
  • Maintaining nothing but As and Bs, next semester. 
  • Staying organized.
  • Getting a job.
  • Getting my driver's license. 
  • Creating better quality photos for the blog.
  • Keeping a battery budget(my camera runs on batteries which is why I haven't taken any pics really with it, because I haven't had any smh)
  • Losing 5 more lbs. and maintaining my weight. 
  • Working on my writing portfolio.
  • Working on writing a book.
  • Becoming closer to my inner self. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis