Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cinematic Inspiration Part 1

   A lot of people get their style inspirations from books, photography, runway shows, idols, models and basically anywhere in between but one place I believe I received a lot of my style inspiration is from movies. I narrowed it down to three films I believe inspired my style the most as a child beginning with

                                                                               The Craft

(From left to right Bonnie, Nancy,Sarah and Rochelle)
The craft is a 90s movie about a new girl,Sarah Bailey who moved to San Francisco with her father and stepmother(her mother died giving birth to her). Sarah meets a group of girls who are actively pursuing witchcraft and she joins their coven. The girls begin overusing the power and as you can imagine not so great things occur, like Nancy growing power hungry and losing her mind.
One girl in particular has stood out in my mind ever since I saw the movie waaay back when, and that Nancy played by Fairuza Balk. I was enchanted by Nancy's crazy, and her gothic exterior!




I was impressed by her tough girl ways and admired her blatant sarcasm. She was crazy yes indeed....but also quite bad ass and I think she's the root of my love affair with old school gothic wear. 

The second film to inspire my style has to be Clueless a film surrounding the trial and error of popular girl Cher Holowitz. During this film I feel my style was specifically inspired by Dionne, Cher's best friend. Dionne had a posh, hipness to her and confidence I adored. Her nose ring although once thought of as an edgy accessory was made to look feminine with her preppy outfits.


How can you not love a girl who can look that cute while still wearing that hat. Clueless was a time of bright colors, tailored blazers, plaid,plaid and more plaid not to mention my beloved box braids took off in the 90s. Clueless represents a side of me that loves bright colors, and preppy nostalgia. 

Last but not least the third film to inspire my style is....The Lost Boys!!


The Lost Boys, was chock full of 80s greatness. Big teased hair, spikes, man-cessories, and scowls for days, the 80s was the place to be.
I loved this movie, the costume director had a field day on these guys. The edgy, gypsy look was something I wanted to covet when I was much younger and still do in some of my looks. 

In part 2 of this post I will be doing polyvore sets that inspired each of these movies and linking some of my own outfits that I feel represent each movie until then toodles!



4 comments:

  1. lol I don't why I just favored Nancy's crazy her crazy kept me interested in the film lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh you are not alone I used to act out characters and such I think that's why I like fictional writing so much I would write myself a role in the movie lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, I used to love those films! Nancy scared the crap out of me though...

    Ship-Shape and Bristol Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha that's pretty interesting I also get inspiration from movies. I remember when I was younger I used to imitate some actress behaviour :/

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis