Friday, November 22, 2013

Well I'm A Poet/Lifestyle Blogger/Freelance Journalist/Too Many Dashes


   
           Your mom and dad told you that when you grow up you can be anything you want. As you age you face challenges,criticism.You've found passions and you've found frustration.
      What I've found so far is that whatever position I end up in, I'm made to write.I do a lot of different kinds of writing from poetry, to style posts, and my everyday posts like right now. When asked what I am my professional voice(the loudest voice in my head), speaks up and says "part-time student and freelance journalist, here's my card...." and whatever pitch I have to offer starts up.
     Sometimes I think I'm approaching professionalism in the wrong way.One second I'm comfortable and daydreaming to myself the next moment I'm a perky robot strapped with smiles and a card that details my purpose in life.I want to be myself but also to appear as the perfect candidate.
       For an interview I will cut off little pieces of myself and revive them later. I don't want my future employer to think I don't fit the position so I'll just chop this chunk off with no complaints. So with this method of chop and fit, I should be successful in no time right?Wrong. I've been going about this professionalism all wrong. I've been putting too much pressure on myself to sound a certain way and to say the right things. Sometimes I think it would be better if I relied on my natural presence, and decided to be confident in my true nature.
     Becoming Robotic Renee at a moment's glance may very well be the thing holding me back.Yes professionalism, proper grammar and appropriate voice are necessary but so is confidence and trust in my abilities.The fact that I murder who I truly am and replace her with a character I wrote up in my journal moments beforehand(I told you guys my purpose is to write) is not confidence. I've come to the conclusion that what I've been missing on my professional journey is confidence and an inner faith in myself so strong that an employer can't help but be contagious to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis