Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Social Media Popularity



I decided to discuss an aspect of popularity on social media(I mean popularity in the media not the cool kids that had the best table during lunch).I admit when I first started getting involved on social media it was solely with the purpose to share my blog.Why did I want to share my blog with the masses,you might ask?I believe I have something worth sharing, and who knows my content could be inspiring someone right now as we speak, just like I've been inspired by others.Social media numbers didn't really matter much as long it meant my message and creations were getting out there.I carry a nonchalant attitude towards social media numbers like how many likes on Instagram or how many followers I have on Twitter.
         I don't care if I necessarily become popular-but I do care about giving back to that cycle of inspiration that keeps creativity alive in our fast paced culture. In my process of wanting to create and inspire I was rocked with a question, does sharing your content successfully and gaining popularity go hand in hand?
For a very long time I hissed at the idea of popularity, I'm a quality over quantity type of person(you can read about that here ). Every time the topic of social media numbers pops up, I was always the first one to zone out. I don't care how many followers I have, that is if I gain any at all, but perhaps I should care- at least a little.Being aware of where I stand as far as my audience goes is beneficial so I know how to better share what I create.Besides there's no denying the power in a larger influence.
There is power in having a popular influence numbers can be wielded for some very worthy causes.With enough popularity you can successfully promote charities, worth while causes and projects built on positivity. Popularity isn't evil, but how people use it and approach it can be.When you worship popularity instead of molding it to send a positive influence that's a waste of time and energy. What do you think, is popularity used for more good or bad and what does that say about what we're drawn to as people?

4 comments:

  1. Great post, very real and true x
    http://crystalcosmicchic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good question! I asked myself the same thing, nice to know I am not the only one! lol I use how many "liked" or "subscribed" to my blog as more motivation to keep blogging, but at the end of the day. I am doing what I know I am meant to do. So I am with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for your comment and thanks, I think I'm really learning a balance of glancing at stats but also keeping my eye on the main goals I have as a blogger

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis