Sunday, February 23, 2014

Fate Just Sweeps In


   I've been using my spoken word platform as both my self expression and to bring awareness on social problems such as racism, lack of racial diversity and issues of misogyny.I know some of those topics are hot buttoned and make people uncomfortable but it's not for that purpose.
I create the videos with social problem topics because these are questions and conversations that need to be had.I'm aware of the consequences attached to speaking on controversial topics and frankly I avoided it for a very long time.
I was afraid to speak on race and misogyny because I didn't want to attract attention but I've come to the conclusion that no matter what we do our light will always attract the attention of others.
So the message behind this is that I understand your want to stay out of hot buttoned topics and I want you to know that you don't have to partake in them.But as long as I avoided speaking on such topics,it felt wrong not to put forth at least a little action.
Sometimes people aren't speaking up as an act of courage, sometimes they're doing it because it feels wrong not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis