Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Day 12: Fashion History and Literature



Did you know the earliest asymmetrical dress design is dated back to 1910?

Did you know Levi Strauss started calling his product "waist overalls", before calling them jeans?

Did you know Juli Lynn Charlot an American singer,fashion designer and actress is responsible for the Poodle Skirt.Charlot created the skirt to go to Christmas party, she lacked the funds for better material hence why the skirt was made out of felt and didn't have a lot of sewing knowledge which is why there's a lack of seams in the skirt as well.

I love finding out little tidbits of fashion history!I always find it so interesting looking at the origin of an item and witnessing it's evolution.Sadly, the internet only has so much information to offer(and a lot of it might not be true all the time), so I decided to start looking into some fashion books. I've compiled a quicky list of books I've been eye balling that I think could help me and my fashion history hunger:
  • The Way We Wore: Black Style Then by Michael McCollom
  • Fashion: A Visual History: From Regency and Romance to Retro and Revolution  by NJ Stevenson
  • The Dictionary of Fashion History by Valerie Cumming
  • 100 Years of Fashion Illustration by Cally Blackman
  •   
          While I was researching for fashion text it hit me that some of these books are university books.The idea of studying fashion in college sounds incredible.Studying fashion is probably hard like any other major in college but the idea of stepping out the fashion enthusiast box and into the industry professionally, I felt chills just thinking about it.
           As a fashion blogger with magazine writer dreams I'm currently pursuing a journalism degree instead of specifically targeting fashion journalism, so I at least have skills in the general field.Sometimes I think if I just went straight for fashion journalism instead of the broader approach I might be farther in my career and knowledge but only time will tell.In addition I've been told that a lot of fashion careers were developed due to experience and networking regardless of a degree or technical knowledge.Do you think having a specific degree in fashion should be required for a career in the industry or does experience and networking take the cake, is it a balance of both?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ShareThis