Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Unhealthiness of Haul Watching


I love YouTube.YouTube is where I get fashion inspiration, DIY tutorials, makeup inspo and motivational life tips and so much more.One thing I use YouTube for in particular is to watch clothing haul videos.
A clothing haul video is basically a video where a YouTuber shares what clothes they've recently bought.I find myself so heavily immersed in seeing what my favorite YouTubers have recently purchased and I started to analyze why I find so much amusement in this.There's something exciting about seeing the shopping habits of someone other than yourself.
When I watch haul videos I'm taking in what trends they've indulged in, what sales did they participate in,what store did they buy the most stuff from and why.Watching someone else shop is fun to a certain extent because it gets me thinking about what I'll be buying on my next shopping trip.I get inspired by the statement pieces others buy because it gets me thinking "if she can pull that off,why not me?".While I'm taking in all this information and inspiration during the video I have to remind myself that I have no intention of buying what they've purchased.
Yes, I have to remind myself not to shop, which brings me to the questions I have surrounding the clothing haul culture.
Do clothing hauls have an influence on your shopping habits as far as, making you shop more?I would hate to think that there are people out there who watch these haul videos and then take it upon themselves to replicate such actions. When you watch someone else do a haul video you have to acknowledge that the financial state you're in maybe different than that of the YouTuber.Your shopping experience is going to be exactly like that of the person's you just witnessed and there's nothing wrong with that, I'm just stating the reality of it all. It scares me to think there maybe someone out there neglecting where there money should be going but instead applying that money to keep up with their favorite YouTuber.
My last question is this, did our shopaholic society give birth to the haul video, or are haul videos adding fuel to the shopaholic tendencies of our society?Let me know in the comment section!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis